Saturday 31 January 2009

Its good to talk


My old boss was a bit of a bon viveur: fine wine, champagne, and wonderful food at the best London restaurants. He did not, however, like to go 'off-piste' when it came to the wine list. The white wine from burgundy and the red would be claret, but I do take the credit for doubling his choice of white wines by introducing him the Bordeaux whites. I remember the day when I got a gloating phonecall from the big man raving about the fabulous chateaux of Graves he was trawling around whilst I was up to my knees in the muck and bullets. "Don't forget to try the whites", I bellowed at him before the connection was lost. On the following Monday he spends thirty minutes telling me that I must try white bordeaux wine. Oh hum...

CHATEUX THIEULEY 2007
The Wine Society £8.50 (tasted 8.1-'09)

A jolly good Sauvignon-Semillion blend grand vin du Bordeaux blanc with a natural cork coming in at 12%. Bright medium gold with a clean and light fruity mellon nose. Dry with fresh acidity, no tannin, the medium body gives more citrus fruit and pear flavours. Nice simple length. A very good wine worthy of the half case stash in the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment